Our social:

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One second late for work

Life is about winning battles every single day. It doesn’t matter how small or big it is. Everybody is fighting their own battle every single day. It may be beating your own sleepiness in the morning to get to work or school. Or it may be beating your own Laziness to get some work down. 

My battle today is time. I woke up late and I was on the verge of being late for work. Normally it would only take 30 minutes to get prepared for work and an additional 30 minutes to get to work. But since I visited my parent’s place which is quite far from my workplace, I had to an additional hour to my travel time.

I was supposed in the office by seven in the morning. I woke up at around 04:30 in the morning but had to put the alarm in snooze mode five times. I finally got up at 04:50 in the morning. Since I was still half awake and half asleep in toke me 20 minutes taking a bath and an additional 10 minutes to dress up fix my hair. I took another 10 minutes to eat breakfast. So I was leaving my parent’s house at 05:30. I needed at one and a half to get to my workplace. Good thing the morning rush has not really started. There still a few people commuting. By the time I got to the MRT, it was around 06:31 am. I estimated that I need at least 25 minutes to travel but I was surprised that I got in station that I am supposed to alight at 06:50 am and had at least 10 minutes more.
I had to take another Jeepney ride to my office. It would only take at least two minutes to get to the office. The only problem is that I have to walk for at least 3 minutes to get to designated loading station. By 06:55 am, I was already in Jeepney waiting for it to depart. There was no traffic and I was confident that I would make in time.

There is only one thing that I didn’t count on. The driver of the Jeepney that I rode was really greedy. The driver would stop at place that isn’t even I designated pickup point. He made several stops that really lengthen my travel time. It was 06:59 then and I was only a few meters away from my workplace. I already told the driver that I was getting off. He ended up dropping me a few buildings away which required me to walk a short distance. I normally don’t mind walking but I was really trying to catch the time.

When I got to the office, I am ready punch in my time in. I was running then. I was still a few steps away from the security guard when I asked him the time. He replied that it was seven in the morning. I was relieved but my relief was taken from me as fast as I received it. Panting, I was about to clock in. It took less than a second for all my efforts to turn futile. As I was about to press the button, the clock registered 07:01 am. I swore louder than I had expected. Everyone turned and I just returned their bewildered look with an awkward smile.

It has been a habit for me to be tardy before. But I have changed that habit and have been rarely late in the last three years. Last year I was late only for three times and this year this is the first incident of tardiness. Seven months of being early went down the drain that Monday morning. I won’t feel this bad if I was late for 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Being late for a second would ruin anyone’s day. I would prefer being late for thirty minutes than being late for a second. I don’t know who to blame. I blame myself for waking up late and then again the Jeepney driver is also to blame. I just have to forget it. There is no point on blaming anyone. Damage has been done already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment