Our social:

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Plastic Bag Ban in Quezon City

At first thought, it seems right to ban the usage of plastic bag. The improper disposal of plastic causes clogging in the drainage system and has been suspected to be the primary cause of flooding. Quezon City is one of the cities that started banning the use of plastic bags. To discourage consumers to use plastic bags, they have placed a 2 peso charge for every plastic bag. I am all in favor of reducing the usage of plastic bag. However there should be an alternative.

This based on my experience. On my way home from work, I went to one of the 24 hour convenient store in Quezon City. I bought a few instant noodles and some other stuff. I was in the counter waiting patiently for my turn to pay. When it was finally my turn, I was asked by the cashier if I am willing to pay for the plastic bag. I don't mind paying for the plastic bag, but I asked if they have a paper bag instead. They said that they don't provide the paper bags. At that time I didn't know about the ordinance about the fee for each plastic bag. So I asked why they are charging two pesos if they were giving it for free before the ban took effect. This the answer of the cashier. The plastic bag are expensive that is why they are charging two pesos.

I don't mind paying the 2 pesos per plastic bag since I bought a lot of stuff. If I bought only 1 or two items, that would be fine. But given that I bought a lot of stuff that I couldn't carry without a bag, plastic or paper, I was obliged to pay the fee. I think establishments should provide alternative. If I bought around 15 canned goods, should they be obliged to provide a paper bag? I am still searching the net if business are obliged to provide an alternative to plastic bags. But you do know the answer please let me know

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments:

Post a Comment