Our social:

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Is the rainy season finally here?

Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) has forecasted that the rainy season would come during the last week of May or the first week of June. So when it rained hard today it me wonder if the rainy season is really here. 

The afternoon rain shower was a sweet escape from the relentless summer heat. There is only one problem. The rains may have brought Filipinos relief from the heat but it also brought another burden – Traffic. I took only a few minutes of rain to cause minor flooding in the streets in Metro Manila.

I was on my way to the office when it rained. It felt rely good to be outdoors. The cold breeze was so soothing compared to the hot and humid wind that Filipinos have been enduring since the El Nino Phenomenon kicked in a few months ago. I had to take a detour that added an additional twenty minutes to my travel time. The route that I usually take was packed with vehicles which are barely moving. I was able to make it in time for my shift though.

A local network has reported that rains where not an indication that the rainy season is finally here. But they said that it would only take a few more weeks till the summer season ends. I have hoped for months that the El Nino ends sooner. But the rainy seasons will bring a lot problem as well. It may not be as hot as it has been in the last few months, but disease like Dengue and the swine flu might emerge. Filipinos also fears that the storm like Ondoy (International name Ketsana) would hit the Philippines. The powerful storm has caused severe flooding which has claimed so many lives and destruction a lot of structures.

So if you ask me if I want to the rains to come. Definitely! But I also hope that the government has made preparations for the rainy season. I hope that the drainage system is better prepared to avoid flooding. And I hope that preparations have been made for the swine flu virus and Denque.


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. By the way, I followed you in Google connect. This is one way to keep in touch. Hope you do the same
    MAPEH homepage
    Pink Go Green

    ReplyDelete