Our social:

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why does the catholic church consider using contraceptives abortion?

This has been bugging me for quite sometime. I always ask myself why does the Catholic church oppose the proposed RH-Bill. According to Catholic church, the bill would promote abortion. From what I have gathered, the RH bill doesn't promote nor does it consider abortion legal.

I did my research and found an  article titled "Is contraception abortion?" written by Bishop Teodore Bacani. According to the article using birth control pills are considered abortion. Doesn't make any sense right? Reading the article has somehow enlighten me on what the church consider as abortion. This is what I know. Abortion is considered when there is a fetus or human embryo in a human womb. So if there is no conception, no abortion is done.

Birth control pills has three functions. First pills inhibit ovulation but there are cases where pills are not effective and ovulation still occurs. Second, birth pills prevents the sperm from fertilizing the ovum. This doesn't work 100% of the time as well. The third purpose is that it prevents fertilized ovum from nesting in the womb. When the fertilized ovum is dislodged the womb, they will not be considered as contraceptive but instead they will be considered as abortifacients


It makes sense. I know that some contraceptives are not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy but I know that birth control pills are. I didn't know about the three functions of the pill. I might need to find other studies regarding that. I have heard that using birth pills has side effects. But there are too many myths and too many misinformation about it.

But I still believe that this bill must be pass. I am anti-contraceptive but I am pro RH-bill. The main purpose of the bill is to educate people on family planning. Even if people are educated, it still comes down to the choice that they will make. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment