Our social:

Friday, September 11, 2009

Our Planet

When was the last time you took a nature hike? Or simply ran away from the urban jungle to be in within the confines of nature? When was the last time you sit back and relax while marveling nature’s beauty? When I was a kid I remember spending at least a week in my parent’s province. There were a lot of trees. The air is incomparably fresher. I spent a lot of time in the river and the beach near my Grandparents house. It is one of the things that I looked forward to when I was staying there.

I am always grateful that we are still living in an age where the air is still fresh. There are lakes, beaches and rivers that we could still dip in. There are trees where we could escape from the burning sun. And I wonder how long will this all last. I wonder if the next generation would still enjoy what we have right now. I hope that they could still see certain species of animals up close and not just in books or film documentaries. Will there still be trees in the future?

I heard a song over the radio the other day. It was made sometime around the 1970’s and back then people were already seeing changes with our planet. They sang about how the ocean’s water has changed from blue to black. Trees were being destroyed and the air was already polluted. It is an issue back then and still an issue now. I wonder what were the measures taken during that time. Or if there were any measures at all.

Now that we are faced with a situation that we do not fully understand, we as humans find it easier to ignore the problem than face it head on. We are going to pay for our mistakes. This is the time to believe that we are facing a big ecological problem. It is time to believe that our world is dying. It is the time to change.

Global warming is not the problem of one person, one race or one nation. It is the problem of everyone in this planet. This is our planet. This is our life source. This is our responsibility

Let me close this post with a quote from the film “Inconvenient truth”. Sir Winston Churchill said:

“The Era of Procrastination, of Half-measures, of Soothing and Baffling Expedients, of Delays, is Coming to its Close In its Place We are entering a Period of Consequences”

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments:

Post a Comment