Our social:

Friday, December 18, 2009

My baby's first peek











After learning that my wife is pregnant, we had our first visit to the Obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYNE) on November 24, 2009. We were asked by the doctor to return on Dec 7, 2009 to have her first ultrasound. There are three types of pelvic ultrasound: Transrectal, transvaginal and transabdominal. The transabdominal ultrasound is normally use when the baby is more than 12 weeks old. Since my wife is on her 1st trimester of pregnancy, they have to conduct a transvaginal ultrasound.  The baby was supposed to be six weeks by Dec 7, but unfortunately it is too early and to measure the baby’s heart rate. This got us a bit worried but the OB assured us that this quite common. We were asked again to return on the 17th of the month. We were lucky that the OB was kind enough not to charge us for the ultrasound.


We were very eager and I thought that the 17th couldn’t come as fast enough. The day finally came and my wife had her 2nd ultrasound. At first, they still couldn’t find the heartbeat and then at long last, I heard my baby’s heartbeat for the first time. It was joy unimaginable. I was so happy that I couldn’t stop myself from letting a tear or two drop. It is the most beautiful sound that I have ever heard in my life. There were so many thoughts going through my mind that day. It is mostly a long series of “How”. How could this be? How could a beautiful miracle like this happen? The human body is a magnificent creation I always thought.


But there seems to be a problem. The OB saw a sub chorionic hemorrhage and it has to be treated. She was advised to go on bed rest and was given a medicine called Duphaston to treat the hemorrhage. We were asked to visit the OB on January 7, 2009 to see if the medicine is effective.


The baby was 7 weeks and 6 days old that day. His crown to rump length is 1.2 cm. It is an amazing that something so small would grow really fast in a span of a few months. The body is amazing. Every dad should be there to listen to their baby’s first heart beat. That moment is priceless

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. It's just wonderful, isn't it :) I even bought something called Angel Sound (ebay) that you can use to listen to the baby at home, my grandmother cried with joy when she heard the heartbeat of her first great-grand child.

    Good luck to the both of you, you have a never ending adventure ahead of you! :)

    ReplyDelete