Our social:

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Wondered why Tuition Fee increase is so rampant in Philippines?


Photo taken from Rappler.com
In a few weeks the new school year is about to begin. Students are excited but not all parents are. Most parents especially those with children in private schools would have to pay high tuition fees. Does high quality of education means high cost?

A college student would have to take more of units (subjects) during their freshmen year. The units would lessen as the students progress with his education. Ideally when the number of units taken by a college students decreases, the their tuition fee would decreases as well. But that is not what is happening.

Based on my experience, I took 30 units on my freshmen year. Tuition fee was around Php16,000 then. That was in 1996. During my senior year, I was only enrolled to around 16 units but paying the same amount that I was paying during my freshmen year. So every year although I was enrolling to less number of units, my parents were paying the same amount. Right now the tuition fee in my Alma mater is ranging from  Php 60,000 to  Php 75,000 per semester. I wondered how much it would cost after another 10 years?

So why is this all happening? In 1982 the president then, Ferdinand Marcos signed the Education of 1982. Basically it gave Private Educational institutions free reign on the tuition fee increase. A commercialization of Philippine Educational System sort to speak. A few years later the Government created the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). One of the purpose of CHED is to approve the tuition fee increase of educational institution. But as we all know, they are not doing a good job in regulating it.

Educational institution claims that 70% of the tuition fee increase goes to the teachers and the rest would go to upgrading of the school's facilities. If that were true how come many teachers a going abroad to work as domestic helpers or would take a job on a different field?

So should we blame Marcos for the enactment of this law? I think we should but I think the blame should also fall on all the succeeding leaders for turning a blind eye to what is happening with Philippine Education System. If they continue to ignore this issue I am afraid that several years from now Filipinos would encounter the same problems as we are facing now.

Just to clear things up. I am not an activist. I am just another parent who would face the same difficulty that my parents did. My child has just started to go to school. 10 to 15 years from now I wonder how much it would cost to provide a great quality of education?

What are your thoughts?








0 comments:

Post a Comment