Our social:

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

If there are gentlemen, are there any gentlewomen?

The title sounds weird right? While I was riding the Metro rail transit (MRT) with my pregnant wife, we opted to ride the first couch which is dedicated for the elderly, disabled and women. It felt weird for me since I was the only guy in the couch but I couldn’t subject my wife to the crowded couches. As we entered the train, there were no available seats. My wife was 7 months pregnant at that time and I expected that someone would give up their seat for her. I was surprised that no one bothered giving up their seat. They were like the men on the other couch that pretended to be asleep or pretended that they didn’t notice her.  When I am riding the MRT I always give up my seat to the women, the elderly or those travelling with their children. So I asked my wife if there is such a thing as a gentlewoman or to better put it, would another give up their seat for someone who needs the seat better? She said there is no such thing. I really couldn’t believe it. Maybe I was just because the people who were seated that time were simply not willing to give up their seat.

After that incident we did ride the MRT again twice and in both occasion, nobody gave up their seat. Could it be coincidence that the people we encountered were not willing to give up their seat or is this an acceptable social behavior? I guess I just have to see the next time we ride the MRT.

0 comments:

Post a Comment